This easy DIY rainbow mobile makes a great addition to your rainbow unit study, and it’s a great activity for kids from preschool to elementary.
Some links found on this site may be affiliate links, and as an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support! See sidebar for more information, or visit my Policies & Disclosures page.
While searching for activities to include in our homeschool rainbow unit study for my preschooler, I realized I had plenty of art and sensory activity ideas, but none of them helped us explore how rainbows are formed.
Of course, we discussed the science behind rainbows in other ways, but I had a hard time finding something that was perfect for the preschool age group. That is, until I came across the mobile idea!
I found 2 or 3 rainbow mobiles, but none of them were what I was looking for, so I made the activity as simple as I could by using only materials that we had at home.
WHILE YOU’RE PLANNING YOUR RAINBOW THEME:
- Check out my Rainbow Unit here. (Use code RAINBOW25 for 25% off) If you join my Preschool Program Membership, you’ll get a major discount on all past Unit Studies, and 2 brand new units included each month!
- Here are 25 Rainbow Activities for your Preschooler’s Rainbow theme!
- Here are 25 Rainbow Crafts and Art Projects for Preschoolers
- Here’s a list of Rainbow Books for your Rainbow Unit Study.
- Here’s a list of 16 Fun & Delicious Rainbow Snacks for your Kids
- Here’s a list of Rainbow Recipes to Make with your Kids
Other Rainbow Activities & Crafts We’ve Done at the Moore Homestead:
- Puffy Sidewalk Paint
- Rainbow Playdough Kit Invitation to Play
- Pom-Pom Water Sensory Bin
- Easy Rainbow Suncatchers Craft
- Surprise Rainbow Art
- Color Mixing with Ice Cubes Science Activity
- Froot Loop Rainbow Activity
For tips on planning your homeschool preschool year, including curriculum recommendations, check out this article.
Join the Homeschooling Preschoolers Facebook Page! There are free resources available, and it’s the perfect way to connect with other young homeschool families!
How to Make a DIY Rainbow Mobile
Here’s what you’ll need:
Yup, that’s it!
Making this mobile is as easy as it looks! Simply Draw a sun, water droplet, and rainbow on construction paper and cut them out. Hole punch the top of each and tie some yarn or string through.
Tie each one on the stick and add another string to hang your mobile. You can label the sun, water droplet, and rainbow, or leave them blank. Either way, it creates a great visual for your child to go over how rainbows are made!