This Fall activity for toddlers and preschoolers is a great way to work on your kids fine motor skills this Autumn! With just some playdough, buttons, and pipe cleaners it’s a new favorite for our family.
I remember seeing this activity years ago when I was a preschool teacher, and I’ve wanted to try it ever since! As you would imagine, this really just isn’t a good idea for a room full of 2-3 year old’s, which is what I taught at the time.
Even if the kids were no longer putting things in their mouths, it’s just not really worth the risk when you’re that outnumbered by little ones.
Last year, my son was almost 3, and in a destructive mood from sunup to sundown, and with a baby in the house, I was too exhausted to give it a try.
Thankfully, this was the year for us! And, with the guidance from her older brother, my middle child even participated, even though she’s barely 17 months old.
WHILE YOU’RE PLANNING YOUR AUTUMN THEME:
- Check out my Autumn Unit here. (Use code AUTUMN25 for 25% off) If you join my Preschool Program Membership, you’ll get a major discount on all past Unit Studies, and 2 brand new units included each month!
- Here are 25 Autumn Activities for your Preschooler’s Autumn theme!
- Here’s a list of Autumn Books for your Autumn Unit Study.
- Here are 25 Autumn Crafts for your Preschooler
- Here’s a list of 16 Fun & Delicious Autumn-Themed Snacks for your Kids
- Here are some fun Autumn Facts for Kids
- The Leaves of the Trees Autumn Song for Preschoolers
Autumn Activities & Crafts We’ve Done at the Moore Homestead:
- Laminated Leaves Craft for Kids
- Fall Leaves Painted Toast
- Fall Sensory Bin for Preschoolers
- Autumn Tree Cotton Ball Painting Craft
- Fall Paper Plate Wreath Craft
- Painted Leaf Imprint Art
- Leaf Faces Craft for Kids
- Salt Crystal Leaves Science Experiment for Preschoolers
- Leaf Cutting Bin for Preschoolers
- Fizzing Pumpkins Activity for Preschoolers
- Fall Leaf Suncatchers Craft
- Sensory Fall Leaf Painting for Toddlers
- Fall Process Art
- Fingerprint Fall Leaf Craft (with FREE printable)
- Fall Leaf Lacing Activity (with FREE printable)
For tips on planning your homeschool preschool year, including curriculum recommendations, check out this article.
Join the Homeschooling Preschoolers Facebook Page! There are free resources available, and it’s the perfect way to connect with other families!
Fall Button Tree Invitation to Play – Fine Motor Autumn Activity
It was almost time to buy new playdough, so I left this activity out all day. My son came back to it on his own several times, and I supervised my daughter for a session. They loved it!
You’ll need the trunk to be sturdy, so I suggest using one or two pipe cleaners, and twisting them together to make a thicker base. You can add the branches before twisting, to secure them at the top.
Stick the tree trunks into some playdough to get them to stand up straight, and add buttons to the tree!
This is a great way to talk about Autumn with your preschooler, and a wonderful fine motor skills activity!
If you liked this post, don’t forget to pin it for later: