Have you heard of lacing fine motor activities for toddlers and preschoolers? It’s a great way to get their little hands and brains working. You can create specific patterns by lacing the yarn through the holes in a specific order, or allow them to explore it freely.
Some links found on this site may be affiliate links, and as an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support! See sidebar for more information, or visit my Policies & Disclosures page.
Lacing activities are a great way for your child to work on their fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination. I like to add them to our units every now and then.
I don’t add them too often, because they can get pretty boring pretty fast, even when you change the graphic. However, you can make these activities extra engaging by adding numbers or letters to the holes so your child has a specific order to follow.
For our Autumn unit, I simply added a Fall leaf with no numbers or letters. It’s listed for free below. Print it out, laminate it, and use a hole puncher to punch holes along the edges.
From there, you provide your child with a child-safe needle and yarn, or a shoelace to thread through the holes!
I recommend buying some plastic kids needles like these. We had a thick metal one that wasn’t very sharp, but plan on purchasing some plastic ones soon. They’re inexpensive and easier for kids fingers.
WHILE YOU’RE PLANNING YOUR AUTUMN THEME:
- Check out my Autumn Unit here. (Use code AUTUMN25 for 25% off) If you join my Preschool Program Membership, you’ll get a major discount on all past Unit Studies, and 2 brand new units included each month!
- Here are 25 Autumn Activities for your Preschooler’s Autumn theme!
- Here’s a list of Autumn Books for your Autumn Unit Study.
- Here are 25 Autumn Crafts for your Preschooler
- Here’s a list of 16 Fun & Delicious Autumn-Themed Snacks for your Kids
- Here are some fun Autumn Facts for Kids
- The Leaves of the Trees Autumn Song for Preschoolers
Autumn Activities & Crafts We’ve Done at the Moore Homestead:
- Laminated Leaves Craft for Kids
- Fall Leaves Painted Toast
- Fall Sensory Bin for Preschoolers
- Autumn Tree Cotton Ball Painting Craft
- Fall Paper Plate Wreath Craft
- Fall Button Tree Invitation to Play
- Painted Leaf Imprint Art
- Leaf Faces Craft for Kids
- Salt Crystal Leaves Science Experiment for Preschoolers
- Leaf Cutting Bin for Preschoolers
- Fizzing Pumpkins Activity for Preschoolers
- Fall Leaf Suncatchers Craft
- Sensory Fall Leaf Painting for Toddlers
- Fall Process Art
- Fingerprint Fall Leaf Craft (with FREE printable)
For tips on planning your homeschool preschool year, including curriculum recommendations, check out this article.
Join the Homeschooling Preschoolers Facebook Page! There are free resources available, and it’s the perfect way to connect with other families!
Fall Leaf Lacing Activity
If you liked this post, don’t forget to pin it for later: