This moon rock exploration space activity is a great sensory activity that works on scientific dramatic play and letter recognition, as well as fine motor skills! It makes a great addition to a preschool space unit, and allows for plenty of open-ended play throughout your homeschool theme.
While doing our space homeschool unit study, my preschooler became enamored with moon rocks. To be honest, I’m not quite sure where the idea even came from. I’m willing to bet he saw something on tv, because moon rocks weren’t necessarily mentioned anywhere in my unit.
Either way, he certainly knew what they were, and brought them up over and over! He’d bring me random rocks from outside, gushing about his latest “moon rock.”
Can you say adorable?
So, I put together this simple activity that brings together his desire to study “moon rocks,” and his second favorite thing – the alphabet!
I’m now sharing this activity and the free worksheet with all of you! I hope your little one enjoys it!
WHILE YOU’RE PLANNING YOUR SPACE THEME:
- Check out my Space Unit here. (Use code SPACE25 for 25% off) If you join my Preschool Program Membership, you’ll get a major discount on all past Unit Studies, and 2 brand new units included each month!
- Here are 25 Space Activities for your Preschooler’s Space theme!
- Here’s a list of Space Books for Toddlers & Preschoolers
- Here are 25 Space Crafts for your Preschooler
- Here’s a list of 16 Fun & Delicious Space-Themed Snacks for your Kids
- Here are some fun Space Facts for Kids
- Solar System in Motion Song for Preschoolers
Space Activities & Crafts We’ve Done at the Moore Homestead:
- Planet Suncatchers
- Planet Puppets Printable
- Fizzing Planets
- Asteroid Toss Activity for Toddlers & Preschoolers
- I-Spy Space Busy Bag (with Printable)
- Rocket Name Building Activity
- Edible Constellations Activity
- Space Playdough Invitation to Play
- Space Sensory Bin
- Solar System Match Worksheet Set
- Paper Plate Planets Craft
- What Makes Night Science Exploration
- Moon Observation Journal Astronomy Study for Kids
- Telescope Craft for Preschoolers
- Moon Phases Oreo Worksheet for Preschoolers
- Smash the Moon Rocks Activity
- Space Coloring Book for Preschoolers
- Astronaut Dramatic Play Station (+ Printable Bundle)
For tips on planning your homeschool preschool year, including curriculum recommendations, check out this article.
Join the Homeschooling Preschoolers Facebook Page! There are free resources available, and it’s the perfect way to connect with other families!
Moon Rock Exploration Space Activity (with Printable Worksheet)
Loosely wrap little letters in tin foil, and provide your child with the worksheet and the “moon rocks.” As they find the corresponding letter, they can color, cross out, or circle the letter on the worksheet. Or, they can follow Marshall’s lead and stack the little letter on top!
If you liked this post, don’t forget to pin it for later: