Looking for a fun and unique five senses activity to show your preschooler or kindergartener about their senses? Do a pickle science study using my free worksheet!
Some links found on this site may be affiliate links, and as an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support! See sidebar for more information, or visit my Policies & Disclosures page.
I first thought of this idea when I was searching for books to read during our 5 senses theme. I came across this adorable book on Amazon. While the book itself is not solely about a pickle, it got me thinking – wait, that’s the perfect subject for a 5 senses science study!
You can use all five of your senses when eating a pickle!
Plus, pickles are a fridge staple around here, so I knew we’d have some at any given point during our unit study.
I created a worksheet for my son and I to fill out while we “studied” a pickle. He’s still too young to write, but he enjoys asking me to fill certain worksheets out, and it keeps us on track! However, of course the worksheet is not necessary. Simply turning snack-time into a study session full of discussion is enough!
WHILE YOU’RE PLANNING YOUR 5 SENSES THEME:
- Check out my 5 Senses Unit here. (Use code SENSES25 for 25% off) If you join my Preschool Program Membership, you’ll get a major discount on all past Unit Studies, and 2 brand new units included each month!
- Here are 19 Activities & Crafts for your Preschooler’s 5 Senses theme!
- Here’s a list of Books for your 5 Senses Unit Study.
- Check out this Fun 5 Senses Song for Preschoolers
5 Senses Activities & Crafts We’ve Done at the Moore Homestead:
- Sensory Spice Painting
- Texture Collage 5 Senses Process Art Activity
- Salt & Sugar Test Five Senses Activity
- 5 Senses Puppets (Free Printable)
- Jello Dig Sensory Activity
- Taste Test Survey Printable & Activity
- Scratch and Sniff Jello Name Activity
- 5 Senses Sorting Game Printable
- Jello Playdough
- Rainbow Sensory Noodles
- Pop Rocks Science Study
- Sound Jars Five Senses Activity
- 5 Senses Scavenger Hunt
- 5 Senses Body Parts Match Activity
- Easy Sensory Bottles
- Optometrist Dramatic Play for Kids
For tips on planning your homeschool preschool year, check out this article.
Join the Homeschooling Preschoolers Facebook Page! There are free resources available, and it’s the perfect way to connect with other families!
Pickle Science Study – Five Senses Activity + Worksheet
For this science lesson, simply provide your child with a pickle and the accompanying worksheet! Start by talking about your sight, smell, and touch, and end with taste and sound! What does the pickle sound like when you bite it? What is the flavor like?
Talking about things like this will start to come naturally to your child over time, and they’ll begin observing everything around them like a little scientist.
If you liked this post, don’t forget to pin it for later: