This Pop Rocks science study makes a great addition to any homeschool week, but is particularly helpful for those studying the 5 senses! You can use my free downloadable worksheet, or even just discuss the different senses while playing with pop rocks.
Anything can be educational, and this activity proves it! I first saw a Pop Rocks study on LittleBinsforLittleHands, who I’ve referenced many times on this website. They have a ton of awesome STEM ideas and activities that keep kids entertained and learning!
This was a unique idea, so I wanted to give credit where credit is due. They also have a worksheet listed, so feel free to use mine or theirs. Either way, your child is guaranteed to have a blast because, well, candy is involved!
WHILE YOU’RE PLANNING YOUR 5 SENSES THEME:
- Check out my 5 Senses Unit here. (Use code SENSES25 for 25% off) If you join my Preschool Program Membership, you’ll get a major discount on all past Unit Studies, and 2 brand new units included each month!
- Here are 19 Activities & Crafts for your Preschooler’s 5 Senses theme!
- Here’s a list of Books for your 5 Senses Unit Study.
- Here are 15 Five Senses Crafts for your Preschooler
- Check out this Fun 5 Senses Song for Preschoolers
5 Senses Activities & Crafts We’ve Done at the Moore Homestead:
- Sensory Spice Painting
- Texture Collage 5 Senses Process Art Activity
- Salt & Sugar Test Five Senses Activity
- 5 Senses Puppets (Free Printable)
- Jello Dig Sensory Activity
- Taste Test Survey Printable & Activity
- Scratch and Sniff Jello Name Activity
- 5 Senses Sorting Game Printable
- Jello Playdough
- Pickle Science Study
- Rainbow Sensory Noodles
- Sound Jars Five Senses Activity
- 5 Senses Scavenger Hunt
- 5 Senses Body Parts Match Activity
- Easy Sensory Bottles
- Optometrist Dramatic Play for Kids
For tips on planning your homeschool preschool year, check out this article.
Join the Homeschooling Preschoolers Facebook Page! There are free resources available, and it’s the perfect way to connect with other families!
Pop Rocks Science Study
Grab my free printable worksheet for this activity, below:
Pop Rocks make the perfect subject for a 5 senses theme, because you can use all of your senses to observe and play! They make sound when the get wet, they have a unique flavor, they can be seen and smelled. It’s absolute perfection for anyone learning about their senses!
The worksheet is quite simple, and could be done on basic paper if you don’t have a printer. The goal remains the same: to study, discuss, and observe the fun candy together!
Encourage your child to make educated guesses and save the tasting for last, if possible! It makes the experience even more fun for those that have never experienced the joy that Pop Rocks can bring!
You can even add a dash of water to one of the cups of pop rocks to show your child how they make sound. Ask them to guess what will happen when they put the candy in their mouth.
If you liked this post, don’t forget to pin it for later: