There’s no better way to learn than through hands-on science study! Dissect a pumpkin with your kids to learn about the different parts of the pumpkin, and don’t forget to save the seeds!
This science activity was a total hit! The worksheets come with my pumpkin unit (listed below or found in my shop), but you can dissect and inspect a pumpkin without them as well!
The point is to allow your preschooler or child to explore a pumpkin using all 5 of their senses. Ask them to describe the pumpkin and name the different parts, and encourage them to get messy.
What do the seeds feel like? What does the pumpkin smell like after cutting it?
WHILE YOU’RE PLANNING YOUR PUMPKIN THEME:
- Check out my Pumpkin Unit here. (Use code PUMPKIN25 for 25% off) If you join my Preschool Program Membership, you’ll get a major discount on all past Unit Studies, and 2 brand new units included each month!
- Here are 25 Pumpkin Activities for your Preschooler’s Pumpkin theme!
- Here’s a list of Pumpkin Books for your Pumpkin Unit Study.
- Here are 25 Pumpkin Crafts for your Preschooler
- Here’s a list of 16 Fun & Delicious Pumpkin-Themed Snacks for your Kids
- Here are some fun Pumpkin Facts for Kids
- Learn how to Process Pumpkin Puree from a Pumpkin with your Kids
Pumpkin Activities & Crafts We’ve Done at the Moore Homestead:
- Pumpkin Stamping Art
- Wash the Pumpkins Sensory Activity
- Pumpkin Patch Invitation to Play
- DIY Pumpkin Pie Moon Sand
- Pumpkin Suncatchers Craft
- Pumpkin Boats Activity
- Fluffy Pumpkin Slime
- Pumpkin Bubbles Science Experiment
- How to Dye Pumpkin Seeds for Sensory Play and Crafts
- Pumpkin Seed Name Craft
- Pumpkin Shape Sorter
- Pumpkin Volcano Science Experiment
- Pumpkin Paper Plate Craft
- Pumpkin Soup Activity
- Pumpkin Sticker Play for Toddlers
- Pumpkin Squish Bag for Babies & Toddlers
- Painting Pumpkins Art Activity
For tips on planning your homeschool preschool year, including curriculum recommendations, check out this article.
Join the Homeschooling Preschoolers Facebook Page! There are free resources available, and it’s the perfect way to connect with other families!
Pumpkin Anatomy Hands-on Study for Preschoolers
If you liked this post, don’t forget to pin it for later: