Pumpkin Boats Activity
This pumpkin boats activity is the perfect addition to your pumpkin unit or pumpkin toddler/preschool theme. The hollowed out pumpkins float perfectly on the surface of the water, and your child can put things inside of them and play pretend all kinds of different situations.
There’s nothing quite like water sensory play. The kids love it, and it’s the absolute easiest medium for the parents. Grab a bucket or bin, fill it up with water, throw in some toys, and BAM!
You’ve got yourself a solid activity!
We use water as a sensory medium so frequently, that we even do it inside the house at this point!
Is it messy? Yes. But the kids have learned not be absolutely insane or dump it on the floor. There will be some spilling, and it’s a great excuse to do a deep mopping session afterwards, so all in all, it’s worth it.
Pumpkin boats is no exception. This activity hits some major points: science, sensory, hands-on play, open exploration, and dramatic play!
There are 2 things that make this activity a total winner in my book:
- It’s great for big families or blended homeschool “classrooms.” Babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and children alike love playing with this pumpkin activity.
- You can reuse the hollowed out pumpkins for other activities, including my pumpkin slime recipe, volcano experiment, bubbling pumpkins, etc. (All are listed below).
WHILE YOU’RE PLANNING YOUR PUMPKIN THEME:
- Check out my Pumpkin Unit here. (Use code PUMPKIN25 for 25% off) If you join my Preschool Program Membership, you’ll get a major discount on all past Unit Studies, and 2 brand new units included each month!
- Here are 25 Pumpkin Activities for your Preschooler’s Pumpkin theme!
- Here’s a list of Pumpkin Books for your Pumpkin Unit Study.
- Here are 25 Pumpkin Crafts for your Preschooler
- Here’s a list of 16 Fun & Delicious Pumpkin-Themed Snacks for your Kids
- Here are some fun Pumpkin Facts for Kids
- Learn how to Process Pumpkin Puree from a Pumpkin with your Kids
Pumpkin Activities & Crafts We’ve Done at the Moore Homestead:
- Anatomy of a Pumpkin
- Pumpkin Stamping Art
- Wash the Pumpkins Sensory Activity
- Pumpkin Patch Invitation to Play
- DIY Pumpkin Pie Moon Sand
- Pumpkin Suncatchers Craft
- Fluffy Pumpkin Slime
- Pumpkin Bubbles Science Experiment
- How to Dye Pumpkin Seeds for Sensory Play and Crafts
- Pumpkin Seed Name Craft
- Pumpkin Shape Sorter
- Pumpkin Volcano Science Experiment
- Pumpkin Paper Plate Craft
- Pumpkin Soup Activity
- Pumpkin Sticker Play for Toddlers
- Pumpkin Squish Bag for Babies & Toddlers
- Painting Pumpkins Art Activity
You can check out my tagged photos on Instagram to see other families following my unit studies, including my fabulous Pumpkin unit!
For tips on planning your homeschool preschool year, including curriculum recommendations, check out this article.
Join the Homeschooling Preschoolers Facebook Page! There are free resources available, and it’s the perfect way to connect with other families!
Pumpkin Boats Activity
I remember seeing this activity on FrugalFun4Boys several years ago, and I’m glad we finally incorporated it into our pumpkin unit.
It’s so open-ended that you’ll likely see your kids make up their own scenarios. Throw in some acorns and other toys and watch their imagination come to life.
One minute they’re making pumpkin soup in pumpkin bowls, and the next they have little characters going on voyages across the sea.
If you liked this post, don’t forget to pin it for later: