This rainbow activity for toddlers and preschoolers makes a great addition to a rainbow theme, and works on fine motor skills, language, and art exploration.
Some links found on this site may be affiliate links, and as an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support! See sidebar for more information, or visit my Policies & Disclosures page.
If you’ve never made surprise art with your kids, get ready! They’re going to fall in love. And, thank goodness for us, it’s super easy to put together.
The biggest downside to paper towel surprise art? Once you drop the paper towel into the pan of water, it’s automatically gorgeous, but it’s over. It doesn’t take long to prep, but it takes seconds to do.
I found a clever workaround for this issue, so we can get at least a few minutes out of it with our kids.
Are you ready? *Drum roll, please.*
Instead of dropping the paper towels in water for an instant surprise, your preschooler can use a plastic pipette to squirt tiny amounts of water onto it, revealing the colors underneath in sections instead of all at once.
WHILE YOU’RE PLANNING YOUR RAINBOW THEME:
- Check out my Rainbow Unit here. (Use code RAINBOW25 for 25% off) If you join my Preschool Program Membership, you’ll get a major discount on all past Unit Studies, and 2 brand new units included each month!
- Here are 25 Rainbow Activities for your Preschooler’s Rainbow theme!
- Here are 25 Rainbow Crafts and Art Projects for Preschoolers
- Here’s a list of Rainbow Books for your Rainbow Unit Study.
- Here’s a list of 16 Fun & Delicious Rainbow Snacks for your Kids
- Here’s a list of Rainbow Recipes to Make with your Kids
Other Rainbow Activities & Crafts We’ve Done at the Moore Homestead:
- Puffy Sidewalk Paint
- DIY Rainbow Mobile
- Rainbow Playdough Kit Invitation to Play
- Pom-Pom Water Sensory Bin
- Easy Rainbow Suncatchers Craft
- Color Mixing with Ice Cubes Science Activity
- Froot Loop Rainbow Activity
For tips on planning your homeschool preschool year, including curriculum recommendations, check out this article.
Join the Homeschooling Preschoolers Facebook Page! There are free resources available, and it’s the perfect way to connect with other young homeschool families!
How to Make Rainbow Surprise Art
What you’ll need:
- Paper Towels
- Permanent Marker
- Washable Markers
- Plastic Pipettes
- Tear off a pair of paper towels (2 stuck together) and fold in half.
- Using a sharpie, draw the outline of the rainbow. You may have to go over it twice so it bleeds through to the bottom paper towel.
- On the bottom paper towel, color in the rainbow with washable markers.
- Fold the paper towel back so the colors are hidden.
- Place the paper towel in a pan and give your preschooler a cup of water and a pipette!
If you liked this post, don’t forget to pin it for later: