Make your salt crystal experiment festive and fun for the Autumn season by using Fall leaves for the crystals to form. Your kids will think it’s amazing!
Salt crystals are the perfect experiment for preschoolers. Really, they’re cool at any age, but your preschooler will be delighted to see the big crystals form! It’s an experiment that is fairly easy to put together, though might take some trial and error.
As long as there’s enough salt, you shouldn’t have any issues! Salt crystals will form!
While creating our Autumn Unit, I saw a few variations of this experiment. Some people used real fall leaves, other used pipe cleaners shaped like leaves. I used the fake leaves I had for our crafts, and it worked great!
WHILE YOU’RE PLANNING YOUR AUTUMN THEME:
- Check out my Autumn Unit here. (Use code AUTUMN25 for 25% off) If you join my Preschool Program Membership, you’ll get a major discount on all past Unit Studies, and 2 brand new units included each month!
- Here are 25 Autumn Activities for your Preschooler’s Autumn theme!
- Here’s a list of Autumn Books for your Autumn Unit Study.
- Here are 25 Autumn Crafts for your Preschooler
- Here’s a list of 16 Fun & Delicious Autumn-Themed Snacks for your Kids
- Here are some fun Autumn Facts for Kids
- The Leaves of the Trees Autumn Song for Preschoolers
Autumn Activities & Crafts We’ve Done at the Moore Homestead:
- Laminated Leaves Craft for Kids
- Fall Leaves Painted Toast
- Fall Sensory Bin for Preschoolers
- Autumn Tree Cotton Ball Painting Craft
- Fall Paper Plate Wreath Craft
- Fall Button Tree Invitation to Play
- Painted Leaf Imprint Art
- Leaf Faces Craft for Kids
- Leaf Cutting Bin for Preschoolers
- Fizzing Pumpkins Activity for Preschoolers
- Fall Leaf Suncatchers Craft
- Sensory Fall Leaf Painting for Toddlers
- Fall Process Art
- Fingerprint Fall Leaf Craft (with FREE printable)
- Fall Leaf Lacing Activity (with FREE printable)
For tips on planning your homeschool preschool year, including curriculum recommendations, check out this article.
Join the Homeschooling Preschoolers Facebook Page! There are free resources available, and it’s the perfect way to connect with other families!
Salt Crystal Fall Leaves Science Experiment for Preschoolers
What you’ll need to make Fall Leaf Salt Crystals:
- 1 Full Container of Cheap Salt (You’ll need a lot, so just buy the off-brand)
- Mason Jars
- Yarn or String
- Fall Leaves (real or fake)
How to make salt crystal leaves
Boil several cups of water (depending on how many jars you’re using. Once it’s boiling, turn the water off and stir in a LOT of salt. You want to add so much salt that the water is oversaturated and the salt is no longer dissolving.
Crystals may even begin to form on the surface of the pot.
Pour the solution into jars and suspend the fall leaves into the water however you can. I just used clothespins and yarn, but however you’re able to make it work is fine! I’ve seen people use pipe cleaners.
If you liked this post, don’t forget to pin it for later: