Scratch and Sniff Jello Name Activity
Did you know you can make your very own scratch and sniff words and pictures at home? You could even turn these into stickers, though the process would be a little different. This activity is best kept simple, especially for young preschoolers and kindergarteners.
Some links found on this site may be affiliate links, and as an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support! See sidebar for more information, or visit my Policies & Disclosures page.
It’s likely that your child’s name will be the first word they’ll learn to recognize by sight. There’s always room to add more name recognition activities to your routine! Every week or 2, I like to add a fun twist to our usual name trace morning worksheet, and what better way to do that for our 5 senses theme, than to do a scratch and sniff name?
I’ve never given much thought to scratch and sniff in my adult life, until I had kids. Actually, I think I had forgotten about those stale-smelling stickers entirely. But, after finding the adorable Llama Llama Yum Yum Yum! book with scratch and sniff food, I knew it was something we should have around more often.
So, how do you make a quick and easy scratch and sniff word or picture?
All you need is school glue, and jello!
WHILE YOU’RE PLANNING YOUR 5 SENSES THEME:
- Check out my 5 Senses Unit here. (Use code SENSES25 for 25% off) If you join my Preschool Program Membership, you’ll get a major discount on all past Unit Studies, and 2 brand new units included each month!
- Here are 19 Activities & Crafts for your Preschooler’s 5 Senses theme!
- Here’s a list of Books for your 5 Senses Unit Study.
- Check out this Fun 5 Senses Song for Preschoolers
5 Senses Activities & Crafts We’ve Done at the Moore Homestead:
- Sensory Spice Painting
- Texture Collage 5 Senses Process Art Activity
- Salt & Sugar Test Five Senses Activity
- 5 Senses Puppets (Free Printable)
- Jello Dig Sensory Activity
- Taste Test Survey Printable & Activity
- 5 Senses Sorting Game Printable
- Jello Playdough
- Pickle Science Study
- Rainbow Sensory Noodles
- Pop Rocks Science Study
- Sound Jars Five Senses Activity
- 5 Senses Scavenger Hunt
- 5 Senses Body Parts Match Activity
- Easy Sensory Bottles
- Optometrist Dramatic Play for Kids
You can check out my tagged photos on Instagram to see other families following my unit studies, including my fabulous 5 Senses unit!
For tips on planning your homeschool preschool year, check out this article.
Join the Homeschooling Preschoolers Facebook Page! There are free resources available, and it’s the perfect way to connect with other families!
Scratch and Sniff Jello Name Activity for Kids
I started by writing my kids names on a white sheet of paper with a light-colored marker (so it wouldn’t show too much), and allowed my son to trace his name with the school glue.
From there, we sprinkled jello mix over the glue, shook off the excess, and let it sit out until it dried completely. I would say it took a few hours.
Ta-da! Yes, it’s really that easy! You now have a scratch and sniff name! Throughout our 5 senses unit study, we would scratch the name and smell the yummy “booberry” scent, as well as go over the letters of our names. It was a hit!
If you liked this post, don’t forget to pin it for later: