This crock pot chicken broccoli rice is creamy, cheesy, and packed with flavor. It’s made in the slow cooker in under 6 hours and makes for the ideal weeknight dinner. I love setting this up in the morning and coming home to a delicious dinner that only takes a few minutes to finish up.
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1.5 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups of chicken broth (I like Better Than Bouillon)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3–4 florets of broccoli, steamed or leftover
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Dice the onion and add to the crock pot, along with the rinsed brown rice, dijon mustard, and spices.
- Add chicken broth to the crcok pot and mix.
- Add whole chicken breasts and submerge under the broth.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Shred the chicken using 2 forks. I do this directly in the crock pot.
- Add cooked broccoli, almost all of the shredded cheese, and heavy cream. Mix well.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and put the lid back on, allowing it to cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Turn off the crock pot and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve with any side of your choice and enjoy! I usually do a salad, or nothing at all since it has a veggie, rice, and meat.
- You’ll want to use leftover broccoli, or broccoli that you steam on the side. Adding raw florets always comes out mushy and discolored. It’s just not worth it.
- Parmesan cheese goes really well in this recipe.
- If you don’t have heavy cream, try cream cheese instead, or even some plain greek yogurt. So good!
- Do not cook this recipe on low. It will come out mushy.
- Do not substitute brown rice for white. It doesn’t cook properly.
- Category: Casseroles
- Method: Crock Pot
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: crock pot, slow cooker, dinner, weeknight dinner, fast, easy, casseroles