Make your volcano science experiment festive and Fall-themed by doing it in a pumpkin this year! It’s the perfect activity for preschoolers and young kids, especially during a pumpkin theme.
Look, let’s be honest. Volcano experiments can be a little… less than thrilling.
It’s a lot of build up for something that’s only mildly entertaining. However, to a preschooler? Anything that fizzes must be magic. And in a pumpkin? That’s silly!
This is the perfect combination of fun for kids age 2-5, but let’s not get it twisted – this fun lasts about 30 seconds. I highly recommend 2 things:
- Add some dish soap to the pumpkin along with the baking soda, so it bubbles up as well as fizzing. It leaves behind bubbles to play with, which stretches the experiment out a little further.
- Follow this activity up with my pumpkin bubbles experiment. You can reuse the same pumpkin, you already have the dish soap and towels out for cleanup, and it keeps you preschooler entertained a while longer.
WHILE YOU’RE PLANNING YOUR PUMPKIN THEME:
- Check out my Pumpkin Unit here. (Use code PUMPKIN25 for 25% off) If you join my Preschool Program Membership, you’ll get a major discount on all past Unit Studies, and 2 brand new units included each month!
- Here are 25 Pumpkin Activities for your Preschooler’s Pumpkin theme!
- Here’s a list of Pumpkin Books for your Pumpkin Unit Study.
- Here are 25 Pumpkin Crafts for your Preschooler
- Here’s a list of 16 Fun & Delicious Pumpkin-Themed Snacks for your Kids
- Here are some fun Pumpkin Facts for Kids
- Learn how to Process Pumpkin Puree from a Pumpkin with your Kids
Pumpkin Activities & Crafts We’ve Done at the Moore Homestead:
- Anatomy of a Pumpkin
- Pumpkin Stamping Art
- Wash the Pumpkins Sensory Activity
- Pumpkin Patch Invitation to Play
- DIY Pumpkin Pie Moon Sand
- Pumpkin Suncatchers Craft
- Pumpkin Boats Activity
- Fluffy Pumpkin Slime
- Pumpkin Bubbles Science Experiment
- How to Dye Pumpkin Seeds for Sensory Play and Crafts
- Pumpkin Seed Name Craft
- Pumpkin Shape Sorter
- Pumpkin Paper Plate Craft
- Pumpkin Soup Activity
- Pumpkin Sticker Play for Toddlers
- Pumpkin Squish Bag for Babies & Toddlers
- Painting Pumpkins Art Activity
For tips on planning your homeschool preschool year, including curriculum recommendations, check out this article.
Join the Homeschooling Preschoolers Facebook Page! There are free resources available, and it’s the perfect way to connect with other families!
Pumpkin Volcano Science Experiment
To the bottom of a hollowed out pumpkin, add some food coloring, baking soda, and dish soap.
Provide your child with a cup or a squeeze bottle of vinegar and watch the fun!
You can use this as an opportunity to talk about what a chemical reaction is, or simply let them enjoy the sight. They’re learning either way at this age. Volcanos feel like they’re over as soon as they begin, so there’s no need to stress.
If you liked this post, don’t forget to pin it for later: