This Fall leaf suncatchers craft is easy to put together, and creates an even prettier view from your window! Using just watercolor paint and a coffee filter, your child can explore artistic expression in this easy Autumn craft.
If you haven’t already noticed, we love making suncatchers around here! Almost every unit study we do, we add in some fun new suncatchers to display in our window. It’s a win, win! The kids love making them, and I love seeing their art all over the house.
For our Autumn unit, I wanted to help my son really understand why the leaves change colors and fall off. I used this activity as an opportunity to talk about that. I’ve found that he soaks in a lot while keeping his hands busy.
Sitting and listening to Mom ramble on about chlorophyll is not enthralling for a 4-year-old. But crafting, and physically playing with leaves is!
WHILE YOU’RE PLANNING YOUR AUTUMN THEME:
- Check out my Autumn Unit here. (Use code AUTUMN25 for 25% off) If you join my Preschool Program Membership, you’ll get a major discount on all past Unit Studies, and 2 brand new units included each month!
- Here are 25 Autumn Activities for your Preschooler’s Autumn theme!
- Here’s a list of Autumn Books for your Autumn Unit Study.
- Here are 25 Autumn Crafts for your Preschooler
- Here’s a list of 16 Fun & Delicious Autumn-Themed Snacks for your Kids
- Here are some fun Autumn Facts for Kids
- The Leaves of the Trees Autumn Song for Preschoolers
Autumn Activities & Crafts We’ve Done at the Moore Homestead:
- Laminated Leaves Craft for Kids
- Fall Leaves Painted Toast
- Fall Sensory Bin for Preschoolers
- Autumn Tree Cotton Ball Painting Craft
- Fall Paper Plate Wreath Craft
- Fall Button Tree Invitation to Play
- Painted Leaf Imprint Art
- Leaf Faces Craft for Kids
- Salt Crystal Leaves Science Experiment for Preschoolers
- Leaf Cutting Bin for Preschoolers
- Fizzing Pumpkins Activity for Preschoolers
- Sensory Fall Leaf Painting for Toddlers
- Fall Process Art
- Fingerprint Fall Leaf Craft (with FREE printable)
- Fall Leaf Lacing Activity (with FREE printable)
For tips on planning your homeschool preschool year, including curriculum recommendations, check out this article.
Join the Homeschooling Preschoolers Facebook Page! There are free resources available, and it’s the perfect way to connect with other families!
Fall Leaf Suncatchers Craft for Kids
My daughter was in a bad mood this day, and I didn’t expect her to want to partake in our craft. She surprised me by dragging a stool up to see what brother was up to! I gave her my leaf cutout and she had a blast!
Turns out, watercolor is actually great for little toddlers. She loved watching the colors change and blend as the water spread throughout the coffee filter.
For this craft, cut coffee filters out into various leaf shapes, and provide your child with red, orange, and yellow watercolors! Perfect to discuss the colors that Fall leaves are changing to.
If you liked this post, don’t forget to pin it for later: